322 Haunted By

Eve and Adam Eve and Adam
by Michael Grant
Start date: August 1, 2013

View this group on Goodreads »

Not ready to review yet, but I have some just finished thoughts.

Reaper's Legacy - Joanna Wylde

This is not my review. This is me  reflecting for a moment, then taking a break before I decide whether or not I actually want to write a review.

Meet Sophie.

The thought of dishing about everything that went wrong here sounds painful. I don't even want to look at my notes because there are so many.

If you think you know what I might rant about, you might be wrong in this instance. These are not the books to read if you want PC, happy, "embrace feminism" ideals - because a lot of MC's just aren't going to fit into any sort of PC mold. And I don't mind books showing the realism of how a fringe society lives. I don't want the watered down version. So no, I'm not going to rant about sexist men or outdated ideals or slut shaming (although that last part came from the women, which kind of sucked). Not in the case of this particular book, at least.

Nope. It's not the club life or the men I would want to rant about. It's the uncomfortable-ness of being in Sophie's head while she was lusting around like a cat in heat over a man who guaranteed her (at the start) he wouldn't be faithful. Lust away, or don't. I don't care. But either embrace his shit or walk away. Don't make me feel awkward while you mull around in your head how horny you are, especially after you found the naked chick upstairs. Don't flip flop between losing your mind one moment, and trying to protect your kid the next. Don't be in, then out, then in, then out. Yes, people do this (we've all had on again, off again relationships), but it makes for crap reading because we just want to reach into the book and strangle you.

Plus, her mom skills were super-sketchy. I was a broke single mom too, also living in a shitty apartment in a dangerous location, so I am not letting Sophie get a pass for that.

Again, this is not my actual review. These are my "just finished" thoughts. Maybe I'll have something more substantial and less ranty to say later. I actually liked the first 1/3 of the book, and the ending had a very sweet moment.