322 Haunted By

Start date: August 1, 2013

View this group on Goodreads »

Too Lazy to Meet You at the River

Meet Me at the River - Nina de Gramont

I think I'm finally ready to start reading again, but I'm still not ready to spend more than 5 minutes writing a review. Sorry kids. I'll get my reviewing mojo back eventually. O.o

This is the book that Ever should have been. I felt the connection between the couple in Meet Me at the River in a way I never did with Ever.

It's really too bad that I rarely click with the books which have a certain sort of quiet beauty in the details. In the same way that I struggled with Shiver and A Certain Slant of Light, I did the same with Meet Me. I could see how others might connect with this melancholy account of a girl's day-to-day struggle to handle her loss of a dear love.

THE WRITING IS SO DARN BEAUTIFUL, AFTER ALL.

My attention span is that of a fly. If stuff isn't happening RIGHT NOW, my mind will wander. I'm envious of the people who can appreciate the journey more than I can.

So, for that, I put my enjoyment rating at about a 2 star. But the end of the book was so damn beautiful and profound that I cried. I had to give an extra star for an ending which was impossible not to appreciate.

Well done, Ms. de Gramont. You got my tears.

If you like the books I mentioned above, you'll probably enjoy Meet Me at the River far more than I did.