322 Haunted By

Eve and Adam Eve and Adam
by Michael Grant
Start date: August 1, 2013

View this group on Goodreads »

I smell something fishy...no wait, that's just her oceanic scent.

Crash into You - Katie McGarry

If I'd read Crash Into You first in the series, I probably would have considered it the best of all 3 books so far. Isaiah is the hero I'm most drawn to, and the drag racing plot device has a certain throwback appeal.

Unfortunately, when you get to book 3 of a series and find yourself getting frustrated over the same things which frustrated you in the first couple of books, it's hard to overlook that.

Frankly, I was bored when I wasn't frustrated. I'm over the poor-bad-boy-meets-uppity-and-or-inexperienced-rich-girl angle. Rachel's issues had me doing a "who the hell cares" reaction. I could honestly give a shit about her panic attacks and how she couldn't take care of herself. And she was the youngest sibling of several older, hot brothers who were very overprotective? This fantasy of being the helpless female who everyone wants to protect is also old beyond belief.

Let's talk about Rachel, the girl who chose to be who everyone else wanted her to be in order not to further hurt her damaged loved ones. I say : she reaps what she sows. If you aren't going to tell the truth to people out of fear, then you can deal with the fallout and expect me not to care.

Maybe he already knows I'm weak.

Unrelated side note : who notes about themselves that they "lazily glanced" at someone from under their eyelashes? Isn't that something you'd notice another person doing, not yourself?

Let's talk about Isaiah, the bad boy who would slip into thoughts and language which seemed to contradict his rebellious image.

Examples :

She has skin so soft that I worry about damaging her with a gentle touch.

The sound of her voice creates a contact high.

I've seen roses the color of her lips.

Let's also talk about things that I don't like.

Eyes softening to liquid silver makes me feel like I'm witnessing a bad channeling of Jennifer Armentrout. NON PARANORMAL people don't have liquid silver eyes. What was wrong with the normal gray Isaiah had before?

The continuation of scent cataloging rolls on - in a painfully embarrassing way.

I suck in a breath through my mouth to avoid her scent and step back.

The scent of the ocean enters my nose and my jeans tighten.

The demonization of weed smoking continues. Seriously. Can someone please have a chat with this author and tell her that this isn't abnormal behavior only limited to kids in trouble? How do you write books about kids coming from a sketchy upbringing and not know that a decent portion of the teenage population partakes, even the "good" kids? It's not all that different from social drinking anymore.

We're three books in and the repetitiveness has me unsure whether I'll continue with the series. West is up next with his book and he already strikes me as the stereotypical bad boy character. I don't know if I want to go there or not.

This book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All quotes taken from the pre-published copy and may be altered or omitted from the final copy.