322 Haunted By

Start date: August 1, 2013

View this group on Goodreads »

Charming

Charming - Elliott James

Don't let the cover fool you. This is not a girly romance book. This is fun Urban Fantasy all the way! Guys, you can come out of hiding!

Anyway...*cue dramatic sigh* We've probably all been where I'm at right now. I've managed to avoid it for a while, but I finally hit the dreaded reading-slash-reviewing slump. I'm going to chalk it up to summer coming to an end and me realizing that there's still a bunch of summer-type things I want to do which don't involve reading and reviewing. Here's my half-assed review.

Charming was a lot of fun. I'll be wanting to check out book 2 when it's available.

Actually, my complaints are fairly minimal. Charming probably had enough moments to make it more of a 4 star book than a 3 star book, but something held me back from rounding up. Come to think of it, the amount of world and character information really didn't bother me as much as it did my buddy reading partner. I'm guessing that this might have something to do with me being a huge fan of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series, so I'm sort of used to this style of writing.

I could EASILY throw out a good twenty or so quotes from the book because the wit is fabulous. And there's a good chance I could sell you on the book just from the wit alone. The chapter headers were silly in a fun way, ranging from gems like Blood, Bath & Beyond to Which One of You Ordered the Stake? And the banter was just the way I like it (One second you're sounding metrosexual talking about coffee preparation, the next you look like you're going to rip my heart out and eat it).

So here's a quick rundown. Charming was :

Cram-packed with sarcastic humor.

Filled to the brim with crazy antics.

Absolutely full of offbeat lore.

Overflowing with unique characters.

Who would I recommend this to?

Fans of Kevin Hearne (the writing style is VERY similar).

People who are tired of flowery writing.

Anyone who likes to roll with the punches.

Who would I not recommend this to?

People who need instant gratification when it comes to any sort of romance.

Fin.